Are you looking for cash register software? This turns out to be a tricky operation, given the variety of choices. It is necessary to consider the functionalities, the adaptability to a large structure, and the price of the subscriptions offered by each manufacturer.
To guide you, consult this comparison which presents the ten best cash register software currently available.
What is cash register software?
Cash register software is becoming necessary for many businesses in different industries. Both retail and restaurant industries use cash register software to make their operations more efficient.
Modern cash registers include functions such as inventory management and financial reporting. Cash register software is available at different levels of complexity to meet the needs of different types of businesses.
Cash register software offers all the functions of a traditional cash register but with more sophisticated options for better business management.
Most cash register software is now cloud-based, so merchants and restaurants are not required to store servers on their premises.
A significant advantage of using cash register software is that you can access your business data anywhere there is an Internet connection. Some cash register software also allows you to work offline without Wi-Fi.
The cost of cash register software is usually a monthly subscription due to the software-as-a-service model. However, you will need to pay for hardware with the software, such as barcode scanners and cash drawers.
What about the regulations?
A certified cash register software must meet several conditions specified by the tax documentation.
First, choose an NF525 certified cash register that complies with the law by INFOCERT. This independent third party acts on behalf of AFNOR certification.
What are the benefits of cash register software?
- More reliable data: The reporting and analysis functions of modern cash register software give you the data you need to make smarter business decisions.
- The various reports can help you with everything from recruiting to marketing.
- Better inventory management: It is essential to know the status of your inventory at all times. Modern cash register systems give you automated, real-time inventory updates.
- This provides accurate information about which products you need to reorder, helping you avoid waste.
- Improved marketing: Some small business cash register software lets you target customers with loyalty programs and the ability to collect email addresses.
- Effective employee management: Most cash register software for small businesses can integrate with employee management software without interrupting sales transactions.
- Integration options: The best cash register software will allow you to integrate your existing or new software to create a complete business management solution.
- Marketing and payroll are some of the systems that can be combined with cash register systems to help you run your business seamlessly.
The ten best-certified cash register software
Lightspeed software was initially developed in 2014 in Canada. However, the company iKentoo, a specialist in cash registers on iPad, bought it.
As a result, this software has conquered the European market. You will find all the basic functionalities for optimal cash register management.
It can even be associated with online ordering (LivePepper), reservation (ZenChef, Resengo), payment, or accounting (Sage) applications. Having obtained the NF525 certification, Lightspeed is, therefore, compliant with French law.
It should be mentioned that Lightspeed is only compatible with devices from the Apple range. Nevertheless, it pairs perfectly with payment terminals like Verifone and iZettle.
In Addition, it is possible to use another TPE such as the one provided by your bank. However, this is not recommended since you must double the required amount.
Lightspeed offers you two formulas. You can select the Essential offer, which is 39 euros per month, or the Pro offer, which amounts to 89 euros.
While the first is more suitable for fast-food or food-truck establishments, the second is ideal for cafes, restaurants, and bars.
In Addition, the Lightspeed team stands out with a versatile customer service that gives you access to webinars and free support by phone, chat, or email.
It is worth mentioning that Lightspeed is ideally suited for managing multiple establishments.
To create a solid customer base, this software allows you to memorize the specific needs of your customers, such as allergies or the preferred accompaniment.
This minimizes the risk of mistakes. This will save you time and increase responsiveness.
To conclude, we will mention that Lightspeed is a complete, modern application highly sought after for its efficiency.
The only downside is that the handling can sometimes seem complicated because of the multiple parameters. However, this can very quickly be remedied by seeking the help of unlimited customer service.
Square provides comprehensive tools for flexible business management. It carries anti-fraud certification.
It adapts perfectly to the requirements of medium-sized catering establishments such as snack bars, small restaurants, and large chains.
In Addition to offering a security guarantee for payments, the accessible version of Square does not require any subscription or commitment. Instead, the software will deduct specific fees from the payments made.
For example, the fees are 1.65% per transaction for card payments or mobile payments. For a manually entered small amount, the fee is 2%.
If you wish to opt for a formula other than the free one, it is possible to order the Plus option.
It is invoiced at 59 euros per month per point of sale. Otherwise, the Premium formula is presented on the estimate.
To summarize, we will mention that Square has multiple advantages, such as versatile and modular features, iOS and Android compatibility, and unlimited and free customer support.
The notable drawbacks are that no 4G connection is included and cannot be used in the DOM.
Zettle cash register software is compatible with Android and iOS. With anti-fraud certification dating from January 2018, Zettle guarantees the security of your data.
Even if it is free software to be associated simply with a tablet or a smartphone, it will be necessary to envisage transaction costs (1.75% for any payment by card) and the Zettle Reader terminal price sold at the expense of 19 euros. In this context, we can distinguish three different packs offered by the manufacturer:
- A mini-kit: small businesses
- A catering kit: cafes, bars, restaurants
- A retail kit: retail
Zettle gives you access to cool features like:
- Manage the inventory through a classification according to the criteria of your choice.
- Consult daily reports to evaluate staff and lost sales and define the most requested products.
- Print receipts, order tickets, and kitchen tickets for free.
- A free telephone assistant integrated into your offer.
Before finalizing your choice, it is essential to know that this software does not offer you the possibility of customization according to your type of business. It is designed primarily for small restaurants and cafes.
Tactile stands out with its intuitive and straightforward appearance, guaranteeing a smooth flow of your orders. It justifies the NF525 certification.
In Addition to allowing you to control your merchandise, Tactical will enable you to assign rights to your employees according to their positions.
Thus, you can block access to certain advanced features. Also, this cash register software allows you to memorize your customers’ information to integrate them into a loyalty program.
Finally, you should know that Tactile works even when offline to allow you a pleasant operation even without the Internet.
The Tactile software subscription starts at 29 euros per month without the possibility of a free trial.
However, the “satisfied or refunded” guarantee applied for 15 days benefits you.
Furthermore, the manufacturer gives you the right to its collective training in the context of webinars. You also have the possibility of requesting a personalized frame.
Even though Tactile offers quick installation and connects perfectly with a receipt printer or a barcode reader, it has limited functionality compared to the needs of large restaurants.
On the other hand, it will perfectly meet the needs of independent traders such as bakeries or food trucks.
Popular software can be used on both iPad and phones. It has multiple optimized management features. For example, you can manage your tables in one or more rooms.
By using Popina, you can even send your orders directly to the kitchen by associating them with a printer. The software also makes it possible to cash meal vouchers.
- Also, Popina partners with other applications to expand service possibilities:
- The Popina mobile app is compatible with Android and iOS. Moreover, it allows you to consult the statistics related to your restaurants.
- The Pop order application allows you to offer your establishment a Click & Collect service.
- It allows you to retain your customers through the Popfid application.
Popina offers you a 30-day free trial. After that, you can subscribe to a subscription of 39 euros per month.
We conclude that Popina stands out for its speed in the distribution of orders in the internal network of your establishment.
However, it is not an ideal option for restaurant chains. It is an optimal solution for small to medium-sized businesses.
6. Easyshop by ShopCaisse
This touchscreen cash register is a 100% French creation dating back to 2013. It will help you better manage your business and increase your sales, despite the size of your establishment.
Easy shop by ShopCaisse also offers compatible equipment, such as the receipt printer and the cash drawer, for sale or rental.
In Addition, you can benefit from an advantageous tariff for the software and the material, estimated at 59 euros per month. Otherwise, the software license is 19 euros per month for six months and will be billed at 39 euros.
Among the functionalities of Easyshop by ShopCaisse, we will mention:
- Collection of invoices
- Creation of customer files
- Inventory management
- Development of statistics
In conclusion, we can say that Easyshop by ShopCaisse is software that meets the needs of different types of cafes, restaurants, and bars.
Moreover, it stands out with full technical support available at any time of the day, seven days a week.
The only noticeable downside is that it is only suitable for Apple devices.
The anti-fraud certified RoverCash software is available on Android and iPad. You can acquire the peripherals to be connected (digital display, printer, handheld scanner, etc.)
on the RoverCash online store. It offers all the features of a touchscreen cash register, such as sales, collection, and inventory monitoring. You can choose between 3 versions:
- Starter: this is a free version with access on a single tablet by a single vendor
- Standard: Multi-tablet and multi-vendor version with access to the web back-office. Technical support is provided with this version at 39 euros per month.
- Plus: This version gives you access to multiple advantages, including enhanced assistance. Billing is 79 euros per month.
To master all aspects of this software, it is possible to access online training or group workshops. Although RoverCash is a complete and exciting software, it should be mentioned that it is unsuitable for large CHR.
Available for a decade on the market, the reputation of the Addition is well established. There are more than 20,000 users who use the centralized and customizable management offered by this software. It also allows to:
- Make payments by QR Code, keeping the history automatically.
- Develop an automatic connection between the cash register and the website to verify reservations.
- Support Click and Collect commands without the need for retyping.
- Manage your stock in real-time with the ability to view and analyze all operations.
This software is appreciated for its versatility. Indeed, it is possible to use it even while being “offline.” It pairs seamlessly with other apps and software to give you control over every aspect of your business.
You will be supervised by a team of experts who offer you constant support remotely or by traveling on-site. The only negative is that the Addition does not provide a free trial period.
The fact that it is unavailable on Android can also get in the way. The prices are communicated on request by the manufacturer.
Hiboutik is interesting because it is compatible with all operating systems: iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux.
It can therefore be used on PC and MAC, but also tablets and smartphones. In its free version, you can enjoy various features.
For example, it helps you manage sales processes and establish a purchase history for each customer. You can even supervise withdrawals and deposits from your stock and manage inventories.
However, it should be noted that the statics are limited. You will therefore have to favor the paid version.
This is one of the most advantageous offers on the market, given that the premium version is only 12.90 euros per month.
The disadvantages are that this software is only for small businesses. Furthermore, you might be put off because the brand does not offer the possibility of buying and renting equipment.
However, several devices on the market are compatible with this software.
Wavy is a software designed for hair salons and beauty salons. To use the Wavy X application, it must be connected to a computer, a smartphone, or a tablet.
This gives you the ability to close your checkout from where you are. Wavy allows you to manage your customer relationship and communicate complete statistics and analyses to your accountant.
Indeed, the software generates this indicator data to evaluate the progress of your activity.
Wavy also offers reservation functionality, which is essential for this establishment. It should be noted that the software integrates validated appointments into your schedule. If you want to increase the number of your reservations, it is possible to integrate it with Google Reserve.
The compatible materials are the cash drawer, the payment terminal, and the receipt printer. They offer a versatile collection solution. If you consult the Wavy site, you will notice that the rates are not displayed.
In this case, you must contact the Wavy team to obtain an estimate depending on the size of the salon and the number of employees. Being an NF525 checkout, Wavy presents no problem for the protection of your data as well as that of your customers.
Finally, we can say that Wavy has the advantage of being used on iOS and Android. It allows global manipulation on PC, smartphones, and tablets.
The major drawback is that the prices are communicated only on the estimate. Also, it is mainly oriented toward beauty professionals.
Things to consider when looking for the best cash register software
Let’s look at some of the main things to consider when choosing cash register software for your business.
- Determine your business needs
- It’s tempting to immediately jump into research mode and find outlet companies to check out, but before that, it’s best to do internal research and figure out your needs.
- This will clarify what you need (and don’t), making your search much more accessible.
- The shortcomings of the existing system
- If you’re looking to replace an existing POS system, start by identifying its shortcomings.
- What are the features missing from the solution? What tasks would you like it to allow you to accomplish? What are your sensitive points?
- Please take note of the answers to these questions and use them when researching solutions in the market.
For example, if one of the shortcomings of your system is the inability to support gift cards, this is something you can keep in mind when comparing solutions later.
It is also helpful to discuss your cash register software with your team. Ask your cashiers and associates the above questions and write down their comments.
- Cash register software hardware can be a significant investment, so if you have an existing setup and are happy with your hardware, then look to solutions that work with what you have.
- Let’s say you use iPads for your point of sale. In this case, you should look for solutions that work well on this iOS operating system.
- Also, take note of devices such as barcode scanners, payment terminals, drawers, and printers, and make sure the POS system you choose works with these devices.
- The software you use
- The same goes for any software or apps you use. For example, if you are happy with your accounting software, your CRM, your e-commerce platforms, etc.
- make sure that the point-of-sale solution integrates with your company’s applications.
- The development of your business
- Knowing your current needs is good, but you must also be aware of your future needs. What development do you foresee for your business?
- If, for example, you are planning to open new locations shortly, make sure your checkout software supports multiple stores and allows you to manage multiple stores with ease.
- Likewise, if you want to revamp your customer loyalty program and introduce new benefits, ensure your cash register software has loyalty features or integrations to help make this happen.
- Your budget
- For obvious reasons, you need a system that fits your budget. But unfortunately, cash register software’s cost and billing structures vary from vendor to vendor.
- Some solutions charge a subscription ranging from a few tens of euros per month to several hundred. Other vendors take a percentage of your sales, and point-of-sale solution vendors do both.
The best cash register software depends on your needs and your budget. But in general, the fees you pay will depend on factors such as:
- The number of pitches
- The number of employees
- The volume of transactions
- The size of your catalog
- The size of the customer database